I have some great news for all you Twilight fans out there …. there is a new series of Twilight books in the works, a two or 3-story arc covering the story of Renesmee and Jacob Black. It picks up after Jacob imprints on Renesmee and goes into what their life after Twilight is like.
It’s hard to believe that it’s been ten years since the original Twilight books came out. In honor of such, Stephanie Meyers hung out with some fans at a special viewing of Twilight in an LA theater, and after, she answered some questions.
This event was co-hosted by one of my favorite YouTube book reviewers, Christine Riccio from polandbananasBOOKS. Christine Riccio recorded a vlog about this, and it’s where we found out that Stephanie Meyer has the whole story mapped out, and it’s probably a 2 or 3 book story arc. She thinks it will be two, but she isn’t 100% for sure because they always go longer than you thought, so it could end up being three books instead of 2.
She also talked about working on Midnight Sun. She even gave a copy of what she has done to her mother, but she thinks it might be too late to release it since it’s been so long since the release of the original Twilight story.
For those who don’t know, Midnight Sun is Edward’s version of Twilight. Here is what Stephanie Meyer had to say about it, in her own words…
“Midnight Sun is an exercise in character development that got wildly out of hand (as do many of my projects). While I was procrastinating some real editing work (I’m always at my most creative when procrastinating), I started to wonder how the first chapter of Twilight would read if it were written from Edward’s perspective. There is so much more to his side of the story than there is to Bella’s in that first chapter. After all, Bella only knows that an incredibly gorgeous boy is looking at her funny. Meanwhile, Edward is suffering through one of the most momentous days of his very long life! First there’s the shock and frustration of not being able to hear Bella’s thoughts, then the wild, monstrous reaction to her scent, followed by the incredible expenditure of self-control that it takes to not kill her… His side of Bella’s first day at Forks High School is a hundred times more exciting than her own.”
In 2009 she even released a partial draft, and fans went crazy. Sadly, however, ten years later, the book was never released. Will it be released? It doesn’t sound like it. It seems like she doesn’t feel like there would be enough interest in the story after such a long period of time.
However, the good news is, that there is still hope for the Jacob and Renesmee story.
August 2020 Update: Stephenie Meyer finally released “Midnight Sun,” that’s a retelling of the original story, only from Edward’s Point of View instead of Bella’s. It’s more of a companion novel than a new book in the series, but for die-hard Twilight fans, this will be something you will want to check out. It gives us a detailed look at how Edward sees things as well as those around him, including Alice, and a more detailed look at how her visions play out and affect the decisions the Cullen family makes.
Jacob Black was initially in love with Bella, but she chose Edward, and together they had a child, who they named Renesmee — a half-human, half-vampire hybrid.
After Renesmee was born, Jacob wanted to kill the child, thinking it killed Bella. But when he went to kill her, he ended up imprinting on her instead and his whole world changed. It was then he realized it was never meant to be with Bella, that he was always fated to be with Renesmee, and it was her unborn self that was calling to him, making him feel what he did towards Bella.
As part of the imprinting, Jacob will only be a brother figure to Renesmee until she comes of age, assuming she will develop romantic feelings for him and vice versa.
As you may recall, Jacob Black nicknamed Renesmee “Nessie,” much to Bella’s dismay. Let’s just say she wasn’t happy that he nicknamed her daughter after the loch ness monster. Will the nickname stick? That remains to be seen.
Forever Dawn is the original, unpublished direct sequel to Twilight, written for Stephenie Meyer’s own pleasure. Meyer says that the book did not fit in with her young adult audience since she “pretty much passed over the rest of Bella’s high school experience entirely, skipping ahead to a time in her life with more mature themes.” This, however, is not the promised Stephanie Meyer new book.
Is there a new Stephanie Meyer book?
There are two, possibly three, new Twilight books by Stephanie Meyer coming out. On the 10-year anniversary of the Twilight saga, she did a Q&A, during which time she said she had plotted out the Jacob and Renesmee story. It will be two, possibly three books. This was said in October of 2018.
She has the whole story mapped out already. It was previously outlined, but she thinks she might have lost that, so she has to start working on that again. Two years later, we did get the completed and updated release of Midnight Sun, which was met with huge critical praise.
Hopefully, that will encourage her to put pen to paper and finish the Jacob and Renesmee book, picking up after Jacob Imprinted on Renesee and then into their adult lives together.
In the meantime, let’s review some Renesmee Cullen facts. It has been a while so let’s make sure you are up to date on all things Renesmee.
- Renesmee is the daughter of Edward Cullen and Bella Swan, conceived on their honeymoon.
- Renesmee is half-human, half vampire. She’s a rare unheard of hybrid species known as a mortal hybrid.
- Renesmee was imprinted just after her birth by Jacob Black, but the story will have you believe it was the unborn child (Renesmee) that drew Jacob to Bella in the first place.
- Her nickname is Nessie.
- Each vampire has some special ability; hers is that she can communicate via touch.
- Renesmee was delivered via emergency c-section by her father, Edward.
- What makes her even more unique is that she’s immune to Alice’s powers. This is thought to be because she can’t see hybrid futures.
- Unlike traditional vampires, she still sleeps, eats human food, and beats her heart. Although it’s said she prefers human blood, she can survive on both animal blood and human food.
- Since Renesmee’s veins and heart pump her own blood, it not only gives her a more human-like appearance than other vampires but also means she doesn’t sparkle like diamonds in the sunlight. This is because her skin isn’t as hard as her parent’s. Instead, she gives off an ethereal glow.
- Renesmee could walk by the time she was three weeks old. She could also speak in full sentences by the end of her first week of life. She was fully grown by the age of 7.
- Unlike a normal vampire, her bite isn’t venomous, meaning she can’t turn another human and make them a vampire like her father can.